Monday, October 26, 2009

Bring The Noise

It was discovered awhile back that interrogators at Guantanamo Bay were using loud music to try and crack terror suspects. They used everything from Metallica to The Sesame Street theme song to get the prisoners to talk. Of course the usual debates about everything involving Gitmo ensued. That's not what I want to talk about though.

Naturally, many prominent musicians are in an uproar. Many have started a coalition which joined with the larger National Campaign to Close Guantanamoto. Honestly, I have to assume that the anger of some of the rock stars is grounded in humanitarianism as much as it is vanity. Who wants to be told that there art was used to torture people. That's not what I want to talk about either.

To tell the truth, the whole thing just got me thinking about what kind of music the enemy would have to play to get me to crack. Anything by Kenny Chesney comes to mind.  Lady GaGa's Poker Face. The Friends theme song. I'm curious which songs or artists everyone else finds torturous. Let me know.

7 comments:

  1. And what do you mean you never have fun anymore? You have fun with me, remember that time we saw those strippers and you paid me 50 bucks to eat that book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anything by Celine Dion.

    Richard Gere images.

    Anything made by Foriegner after their "Head Games" album.

    The theme song to Gary Shandling's HBO show from years ago.

    Nine Inch Nails (The gay man's Collective Soul)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There isn't much music that WOULDN'T drive me up the wall. All they would have to do is turn on the radio.

    It has to be surreal being tortured while your captors are rocking out. Imagine hanging upside down and getting dunked in water to Yakety Sax from the Benny Hill Show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think any American music would really do this. To be effective I think it would have to be something so totally foreign and alien as to be incomprehensible to the average American. Like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu_moia-oVI

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well... Mitchell says any chic singing crappy country music. (its surprising that NKOTB did not come to him.) I would have to say a recording from an elementary band or orchestra concert. YIKES!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sisters life was hanging in the balance on many occasions in our youth as she used to torture me with Ace of Bass, "All she wants is another Baby" Man I cringe just mentioning that song!! The spice girls and N stink are pretty close as well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you ever had nothing but your radio for a long car drive? After two hours, you would think that there were no other songs except the 20 or so on the rotation. Just the sheer repetition of any commercial stations makes you want to scream!!! go with books on tape!

    CAT

    ReplyDelete